The Current website is an emerging and open knowledge base created and curated by its community of members. We gather resources, collections, reflections, inquiries, and stories about what it means to teach writing in our digital and interconnected world.
The Current has a Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 4.0 International license in order to support creative sharing and distribution of content. We are influenced by the idea of creating community through the establishment of a shared commons of work as well as through conversations with colleagues at Creative Commons and P2PU.
Last updated July 1, 2018.
1. Disclaimer Content on this Site, including profiles, resources, collections, discussions and feedback, express the research and opinions of the Service participants, and do not necessarily reflect the views of NWP. The editors of this Service do not typically edit participants’ posts or other content and cannot confirm the accuracy or reliability of their submissions. Each participant is solely responsible for the information, analysis and/or recommendations contained in their submitted content.
2. Moderation Policy NWP is hosting these Services to help build the field of digital writing, teaching and learning. We intend for comments and content posted in this forum to be individually authored, collegial, thoughtful, and intellectually challenging or provocative—and also to meet basic standards of respect and accuracy in tone and content. Posted content and comments on this Site are subject to review and moderation by NWP to maintain the respect required for this forum to remain productive and respectful. Participants may also flag comments or content for administrative NWP review. Suggested guidelines are provided for both posting and responding to content within this site. We encourage the use of these guidelines in helping to establish shared practices and collegial dialogue within The Current. Voicing differences of opinion and providing countervailing information or analysis within the context of the site’s intent are welcomed—however, hate speech and attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated. NWP maintains the right to edit or remove content or comments posted at our discretion if said content or comments are unrelated to the general area of interest of the website or comment is unrelated to the post to which it is responding; if content or comments are advertising products, services, or websites rather than making points; or if contents or comments include racial, gender-based, or sexualized slurs or attacks, aggressive harassment or abuse of content authors or fellow site members, or threats of violence.
4. Conduct Posting You may not use the NWP name to endorse or promote any product, opinion, cause, or political candidate. Representation of your personal opinions as institutionally endorsed by NWP or any of its writing project sites is strictly prohibited. By posting any content, you warrant and represent that you either own or otherwise control all of the rights to that content, including, without limitation, all the rights necessary for you to provide, post, upload, input, or submit the content, or that your use of the content is a protected fair use. You agree that you will not knowingly and with intent to defraud provide material and misleading false information. You represent and warrant also that the content you supply does not violate these Terms and that you will indemnify and hold NWP harmless for any and all claims resulting from content you supply. When posting any content that is created by or features students under the age of 18, you also warrant and represent that you have all the necessary permissions required by your district or institution’s acceptable use policy and that you are in compliance with protections afforded minors as per U.S. law. Furthermore, you warrant and represent that you have protected the privacy of minors in your content, including removing student names and other identifiers as per U. S. Law (i.e. CIPA/COPA) and your institutions acceptable use policy. You acknowledge that NWP does not pre-screen or regularly review posted content but that it shall have the right to remove in its sole discretion any content that it considers in violation of these Terms. Accessing You understand that all content posted to the Site is the sole responsibility of the individual who originally posted the content. You understand, also, that all opinions expressed by users of this site are expressed strictly in their individual capacities and not as representatives of NWP or their writing project sites. You agree that NWP or affiliated writing project sites will not be liable, under any circumstances and in any way, for any errors or omissions, loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of use of any content posted on this site. You agree that you must evaluate and bear all risks associated with the use of any content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such content. Children Collecting personal information from children under the age of thirteen is prohibited. No Content should be directed toward such children without the express written permission of the NWP.
5. Disclaimer of Warranties and Limitation of Liability This site is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. NWP makes no representations or warranties of any kind, expressed or implied, as to the site’s operation or the information, content or materials included on this site. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, NWP hereby disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for any particular purpose. NWP will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of or inability to use this site. You expressly agree that you use this site solely at your own risk.
8. Copyright Complaints NWP respects the intellectual property of others, and requires that our users do the same. If you believe that your work has been copied and is accessible on this site in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, or that your intellectual property rights have been otherwise violated, please contact NWP to report copyright infringements.
The National Writing Project (NWP) is committed to your right to privacy. To that end, NWP has adopted the following privacy policies with regard to the online collection of personal information.
Your Personal Information—What We Collect and Why
Opting In/Out of Email The Current members can individually control how they receive information from the The Current website by editing notifications. Default settings have been established so that if you are the author of a resource, feedback request or comment, you will receive email from any responses. This can be changed as per your profile and account notification settings.
Online Postings to Discussions/Forum NWP discussions and forums provide our members with a valuable resource for sharing their experiences and knowledge. Any communications made through the NWP site, including postings to discussion groups and forums made on the Web or via email, are understood to be publicly available and will not be afforded any privacy or limitation of distribution.
External Links The The Current website contains links to other independently run websites outside the “nwp.org” domain. NWP is not responsible for the security and privacy practices or content of these external websites.
Logs To help improve the user experience on our site, our system keeps two logs. The first log collects the time, IP address, page requested, and user agent string (which tells us what browser is being used). This information is used for system analysis to determine which browsers are popular with our members, which pages are most popular with members, how much time members spend on average on our site, and other general information that can be used for research purposes and system optimization. The second log records the time when a user logs into The Current, the IP address, and the The Current account number. Designated NWP staff use the login time for official purposes, including helping users with support requests and identifying abandoned accounts. NWP does not use logs for commerce-related purposes or sell information collected by logs. Some NWP applications may log additional user activity, which is solely intended for internal NWP use.
Contact Information If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.