Transitioning From Middle School to High School
Top 10 Things I’ve Learned From ISearch
1. Communication, communication, communication!
2. Visits from middle school students to high school are important to make students comfortable
3. Visits from high school students to middle schools are important to dispell high school rumors
4. Cluster 9th graders
5. Encourage extra-curricular participation with freshmen
6. More professional development centered around adolescent development
7. Promote activities for freshmen and upper classmen
8. “Small learning communities led by teams of teachers”
9. Allow students time to play “catch-up”
10. Create a support network for freshmen
Herlithy, Corinne. “Toward Ensuring a Smooth Transition Into High School.” Easing the Transition to High School: Research and Best Practices Designed to Support High School Learning May 2007: 17-29. 18 July 2013.
Mizelle, Nancy B. and Judith L. Irvin. “Transition from Middle School into High School.” Middle School Journal 31:5 May 2005: 1-8. 18 July 2013