Preparation for the creation of a Choose Your Own Adventure story
Get the students familiar with the genre
- Read the books (Either online or they are also back in print)
- Online versions
- Smart phone Apps (U-Ventures, Magnetism Studios)
Guidelines for the assignment
- The reader must be able to make at least three choices before an ending.
- The story is told in second person
- The story must comply with the genre (simple, direct, plot twists, and
written for 9-12 year olds)
- Descriptions of death, violence, and the like need to be age
Create an outline
The purpose of the outline is two-fold. One to get the students used to the idea that these types of stories are discrete events that are linked together. The second purpose is to make editing chunks of a reasonable size for quick peer review, a few paragraphs at most.
Some used text boxes in MS Word…
…others did not.
Here is a near finished outline:
“Choose Your Own Adventure Book as Directed Graph” by Sean Michael Ragan