Lesson Plan 4: Remixing the Past and Connecting the Present
Activity 4: Remixing the Past and Connecting the Present
Materials and Resources Required:
- Copies of all primary sources used in both Activity 1 and 3
- Social Change Timeline from Activity 1
- Art Supplies and Prototype Supplies that have been available throughout the project
- Participant Issue Interest Word Cloud from Activity 1
- Review the Social Change Timeline, which showcases the issue and historic sources in a chronological order.
- Explain that the purpose of the art installation is to find creative ways to re-interpret these sources in a way that does not rely on traditional narrative.
- Provide small groups with a set of 4-6 sources and ask them to ‘remix’ the sources in a way that does not rely on chronology. What are other ways that we can group or interpret historic sources? How might you think about different forms of media or mediums to interpret the sources to talk about social change?
- Allow groups 20 minutes to create an idea for a remix installation (they do not have to actually prototype the installation at this point) with a focus on deciding two elements:
- The social change strategy the group would like to highlight
- The medium or format for remixing, which could range from an image collage to music or video.
- Have each group share their ideas and receive feedback from other participants.
- As a large group, return to the Word Cloud of issues that participants are interested in from the first activity. How do these issues relate to the social change strategies that groups just highlighted in their remix installation brainstorming?
- Return to small groups and ask participants to create a rapid prototype that connects the historic interpretation they focused on earlier in the activity with at least one modern issue or social change strategy that they are concerned about.
- Share out the installation prototypes and ask learners to reflect on how they might use the installation to connect social change in the past with social change today.