Help for Educators on AUP
As part of the Participatory Learning in Schools: Policy and Leadership Initiative, the Consortium for School Networking created Acceptable Use Policies in a Web 2.0 & Mobile Era to help school districts with developing, rethinking, or revising open Acceptable Use Policies (AUPs).
The CoSN Policy guide addresses these questions:
- How does policy differ from procedure and does the difference matter?
- What are the two major approaches used to develop district AUP policies?
- Is the district’s AUP a part of or the totality of the district’s technology policy?
- What are the key federal laws affecting Internet access, safety, and social networking in schools?
- How do state laws or district policies affect school districts’ Internet policies pertaining to filtering, AUPs, cyberbullying, and cell phone use?
- Does the increasing prevalence of Web 2.0 and student-owned mobile devices necessitate updating district ICT policies?
- Where can I find samples of various exemplary AUPs?
- What are some timely, relevant, and useful resources pertaining to the use of Web 2.0 technologies in schools?