Emerging Out: Philadelphia's "What's Your Story?" Project
There’s still much work to understand the school-community nexus and how the complicated stories of economic and neighborhood development affect cultural community ecoystems, as well as the learning ecosystems that make up a community. In this project out of Philadelphia, we meet a classroom of students and teachers who found a way to take their stories of self-discovery and create a new platform for agency and voice.
“People expect student work, especially from our most marginalized communities, that either projects overt positivity or evokes pity. But this does not accurately reflect the complex lives our students live. It is not the burden of our students to uplift others; the beauty and depth of their sto ries stand on their own. Whether in a circle inside the classroom or on the wall of a barbershop up the street, being heard is critical to our students. We need a thousand creative ways for them and their powerful work to reverberate beyond our school walls.”
Read more at Rethinking Schools.
- Years in the Making with Connected Learning: Community Collaboration
- Shaping Worlds w/ a Sense of Justice: Detroit Future Schools
- Inviting In: Building Community for Social Change
- Emerging Out: Philadelphia's "What's Your Story?" Project
- Creative Capacity & Collective Ownership: Classroom YPAR in Detroit