Conceptualizing and Building a Multi-layered Game
One morning, I woke with an idea for a multi-level game about dreaming, and trying to escape a dream, and began to storyboard it out. Then, I went into Gamestar Mechanic and began tinkering with the concept which i eventually called "Deep Down Dream." I was surprised by how much tinkering I had to do to find a balance between making a game playable yet challenging. The narrative structure of a dream helped keep me focused in the development stage, too.
My original storyboard:
Screenshots from the levels of my game, Deep Down Dream:
- More Than a Game: One Teacher's Journey into Video Games
- Why Gaming?
- Gaming Resources
- Curriculum Ideas for Gaming
- Game Design with Gamestar Mechanic
- Conceptualizing and Building a Multi-layered Game
- Inside Scratch
- Interpret Gaming Data
- Gaming without the Technology
- The Game Design Camp Experience
- Final Thoughts on Gaming and Learning
- On Using Gamestar Mechanic