NWP Radio Archive—What Is Your Site Reading for the 2014 Invitational Summer Institute?
Ellen Shelton, Director of the University of Mississippi Writing Project, on their use of Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird during their Summer Institute:
One book that we come back to over and over is Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, because we have to develop teachers as writers. It's really interesting with the Common Core discussions, this is becoming incredibly relevant, because Common Core is so large that a lot of teachers feel intimidated by it. So we kind of use that analogy of taking it bird-by-bird for incorporating Common Core into the classroom. The text gives teachers permission to fail at writing, and even writing instruction, but they get the idea that they have to keep trying it over and over again."
Related Resources Discussed on the Show
- Making Learning Connected 2014
- Teaching in the Connected Learning Classroom
- Digital Is
- "Teaching in the Connected Learning Classroom: New Report"
- NWP Radio: Connected Learning at Writing Project Sites and Communities
- Equity and Learning in the 21st Century Classroom: Explore, Connect, Transform
- Teaching in the Connected Learning Classroom—An Educator Innovator Webinar
- "Some Thoughts on Open Learning: Ode to the Dandelion"
- Thrive: Five Ways to (Re)Invigorate Your Teaching
- "Collaboratively Challenging Ourselves to Move Our Practices and Reflections to Public Spaces
- "Lessons Learned: An Attempt at Book Clubs in a Digital Environment"
- Maker Education Initiative
- "What is Making?"
- We Are All Makers
- Exploratorium: The Tinkering Studio
- Hack This Book: The Art of Tinkering's Conductive Ink Cover
- Every Child a Maker
- The Maker Mindset
- "Engaging Students in the STEM Classroom Through "Making"
- The Gecko's Foot: Bio-Inspiration: Engineering New Materials from Nature
- Thrive: 5 Ways to (Re)Invigorate Your Teaching
- "A Pedagogy of Multiliteracies: Designing Social Futures
- "Multiliteracies Meet Methods: The Case for Digital Writing in English Education
- In the Middle: New Understandings About Writing, Reading, and Learning
- Writing Through Childhood: Rethinking Process and Product
- Crafting Digital Writing: Composing Texts Across Media and Genres
- Write Like This: Teaching Real-World Writing Through Modeling and Mentor Texts
- Create, Compose, Connect!: Reading, Writing, and Learning with Digital Tools
- Choice Words: How Our Language Affects Children's Learning